Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hi! My name is Liz. I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister, a friend. I love my life, most days. 2009 was a crazy year for me, but I'm not going to spend so much time talking about that, I'm looking forward! I've spent the last month reflecting on my crazy year and my life, most importantly the ways I choose to fill my time. Seeing as it is the turn of the decade (I know this idea can be up for debate, I am choosing to see it as the turn of the decade), I have decided to make a few resolutions. I know, I know...very cliche. But there is something about a new morning, a new week, a new month, a new year, and most of all, a new decade that inspires me to look at things in a new light.

So here I am, January 5th (did I mention I'm a mom...thus the not so prompt start of the year, but it will do). I went back and forth on if I should start a blog or not, and today I decided "What the hell? Let's do this thing!" Wild and crazy, right?

One of my resolutions is to read. I have never been a reader nor do I know that I ever will be, but I do believe it is a valuable past time and I think I should give it a shot. My husband bought me a book for Christmas, and so far reading this book has been the only resolution I have been following through on. Oddly enough, it was just announced that the book I am reading is about to be a movie! "Eat, pray, love" by Elizabeth Gilbert has proven to be a great choice to start of my year. First of all, it's easy to read with a 2 year old running around. The book is broken into 3 sections, and each section is 36 chapters. This makes each chapter a few pages at the most. In between diaper changes, juice refills, etc, etc I can usually squeeze in a few chapters. It makes me feel like I have really accomplished some reading! Secondly, it's about a women searching for herself and pursuing the things she loves....in some ways I feel like I am in this same place.

Today I read something that inspired me to pursue the things that I have been thinking about for the last few weeks...including starting this blog. So for those of you who have not read the book here is a quick summary. Elizabeth Gilbert, the author, is taking a year off to travel. First, Italy, then off to Indonesia and India. Right now, I am reading about her time in Italy (a place I travelled for my honeymoon...inspiring my blog photo choice). In this chapter she is talking with her friend about how Americans are so busy, and to do nothing is looked poorly on; whereas in Italy, the art of doing nothing is looked upon as a great thing! Then she breaks it down even further and talks about how you don't have to be rich to do nothing, you just have to be good and making something out of nothing. So, with that said, here is the quote that struck me....

"There is another wonderful italian expression: l'arte d'arrangiarsi-the art of making something out of nothing. The art turning a few simple ingredients into a feast, or a few gathered friends into a festival. Anyone with a talent for happiness can do this, not only the rich."

My husband is going to school full time, and working full time. I am staying home with my 2 year old son, and my soon to be born son (due in March). Obviously, money is tight. My husband and I have spent a lot of time talking about how to make the most of what we have, and being satisfied with out 'worldly things'. A lot of my reflections and resolutions are based on this idea of finding joy and happiness with out money. If you really think about it, this is not an easy task.

I love having people over for dinner, it is not cheap to cook for people. I love being crafty and making things, this is not cheap either. I love to go out and experience things: places, food, museums, you name it! None of this is free. So, the idea of turning simple ingredients into a feast and making a festival from a few close friends seems obvious...but to me is inspiring.

So, in this year and in this blog, I want to explore the ways someone can make the most of life with little to no cost. I want to talk about the struggles and frustrations of doing this. I want to share my successes and failures.

Here goes....


By the way, I am fully aware of the fact that I have poor grammar. If you choose to read this blog, it's something you'll have to deal with. Sorry. Maybe that will be a resolution in 2011 :).

6 comments:

  1. glad you have a blog...i'm not super consistent with mine...but it's fun to have an outlet. i've read eat, love, pray too. and can completely relate with the full-time student/full-time working husband. glad to be your first follower :) happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Here's to your new beginning for 2010! oh and by the way, If you have a colorado license they do have free museums and zoo days for residents. I think its during the first Saturday of the month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Rae, I had the free night at the Kids Museum on my calender for a few weeks now :). I'm definitely going to blog about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need to go out and get that book right now!! it sounds amazing!! very inspiring! and something i totally relate to. love the blog, i'll be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHH! THE GRAMMAR I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT

    hehe. Just being a PITA brother, is all. I never update my blog, but maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz! I'm glad you started this. I've haven't read "eat, pray, love" (yet) but I think it's a great concept.
    It'll be fun to read your blog :)

    ReplyDelete